This music’s unclassifiable originality probably accounts for it failing to make a big splash when it first appeared in 1978. Rempel’s ensemble seamlessly meshes jazz and classical modes, finding previously unknown common ground between Ayler, Ligeti, Ravel, and more. The musicians selflessly serve the compositions and ably step out to solo when necessary. Forget previous claims: Number Six is the real Third Stream!
Latest WFMU show
What?An mp-free jazz blog focusing on rare or out-of-print music. We generally publish once a week. Songs will be available for a limited time, and are for evaluation purposes only. Attend concerts. Buy music.
Who?Chilly Jay Chill (aka Jeff Jackson) and Prof. Drew LeDrew (aka Jeff Golick). Requests, rants, and rights issues to: destination.out [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com.
How?Just be yourself.
- Jean Michel Van Schouwburg said hello i saw a copy of Funk Dumpling in a Brussels...
- Emiliano said I had the pleasure to be in Verona on 1987 at 17 &...
- Eigil said Congratulations, Peter F.!
- pof said Much Love to FMP!
- marten512 said Its all gone very quiet . . . too quiet . . .