United Front’s swansong is their finest album – and a real rarity, too. The group proved ahead of their time and their thoughtful infusion of funk rhythms, dramatic flourishes, and hardy melodies into a shifting and adventurous free jazz framework had many critics calling them “sell outs.” Hardly. This record traffics in sturdy pleasures that sound riveting today. Think vintage Art Ensemble of Chicago and you’re partway there.
Latest WFMU show
What?An mp-free jazz blog focusing on rare or out-of-print music. We generally publish once a week. Songs will be available for a limited time, and are for evaluation purposes only. Attend concerts. Buy music.
Who?Chilly Jay Chill (aka Jeff Jackson) and Prof. Drew LeDrew (aka Jeff Golick). Requests, rants, and rights issues to: destination.out [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com.
How?Just be yourself.
- Jean Michel Van Schouwburg said hello i saw a copy of Funk Dumpling in a Brussels...
- Emiliano said I had the pleasure to be in Verona on 1987 at 17 &...
- Eigil said Congratulations, Peter F.!
- pof said Much Love to FMP!
- marten512 said Its all gone very quiet . . . too quiet . . .